Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Back to My Roots" Trip to Savannah

Some 60+ years ago, I was born in this gorgeous coastal city- Savannah, GA. Earlier this week, Ralph and I had an opportunity to spend a couple of days down there. Before Ralph retired from CSX, we made frequent trips to Savannah. Now, however, we are extremely excited when chances come along to return to one of our favorite cities. Ralph's previous boss asked him to join him there to familiarize him with the CSX properties in Savannah. Because we realized that we wouldn't be getting back often, I decided to take a trip "down memory lane". This is the view we had from the balcony of our hotel. My mind went back to the many times that my Dad took my sisters and me for a ride along the river front while our Mom shopped in the downtown department stores along Broughton Street, just a few blocks away. He went into great detail about the history of our city and the previous uses of the old warehouses along the river. Even at that time, most of the string of warehouses was like a ghost town.

I also have memories of "Captain Clark", a neighbor down the street from us, who was a retired
bar pilot(who met the huge ships as they came into the mouth of the river, and helped them navigate). He was like another grandfather to me, and I spent many hours at his house listening to classical music( thus, my love of all kinds of music today).
Below, is the school which sat directly across from my maternal grandparents' home. The vacant lot between the school and the camera is where their home was located. I remember it as being very large, but was somewhat surprised a few years ago(before it was demolished) to see that it was much smaller than I remembered it to be. My Mother and all of her sisters attended school here.


Above is the former home of my paternal grandparents. It is in Ardsley Park, and still looks very much like it did all those years ago.


We didn't get to this building until after dark, but this is where my Dad worked from the time I was born, until 1955, when we moved to Atlanta. It was the Atlantic Coastline Railroad Building, and the railroad yard was behind it.

My family (including both sets of grandparents ) were members of First Baptist Savannah. I remember singing in that sanctuary as a "primary", and also remember singing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" with the entire congregation at my grandfather's funeral. I also remember my Dad complaining about how LOUD the organist played that huge organ!







Here is the "new" Talmadge Bridge, but it didn't always look like that! The old bridge used to make a humming sound when your car went across. My little cousin used to say "I sing, I sing" everytime we headed across it- going to Hilton Head. Speaking of Hilton Head, when we used to get to the island, we didn't just go across the bridge onto the island. We had to wait for the ferry. And you didn't stay on the island very late in the evening--or you would miss the last ferry.
Well, so much for all my reminiscing! I'm sure it really reveals how very OLD I am!!! But, It was fun!
























1 comment:

Betty Lou said...

Nancy, enjoyed hearing about your trip down memory lane.